- For questions or comments about this website email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- For information about editing this wiki, see Help:Editing.
- For information about editing wikis in general, see Editing Help
What is this?
This is a wiki. A wiki is a website that users can edit. In order to edit it, you have to log in. Once you're logged in, you can edit pages by clicking the "Edit" link in the tabs at the upper-right corner of each page.
Before you log in
In order to log in you first need to request an account.
- Click this link and fill out the form, providing a valid email address.
- Check your email. You will have received a new email with an account-confirmation link. Click the link.
- Once you've verified your email in this way, an admin needs to confirm your account. Contact koanhead, User:Mfoster, or User:elcaset, or post to the list, and an admin will take care of it.
- After the admin confirms your account, you'll receive another email with login details. Click the link provided and enter the password from the email. You'll be prompted to change your password afterwards. Please use a good password.
Wiki pages use special markup to set off internal links, boldface, italic text, and so forth. See Editing Help for more details. When you edit, there is also a toolbar at the top-left corner of the edit window which simplifies the markup: just select the text you want to modify, and then click on the appropriate buttons. The button icons can be a little cryptic- hovering over the buttons for a few seconds causes a text explanation of the button to pop up. You can get a feel for what the various markup options do by comparing the source text (the text within the edit window) to that displayed above the edit window. If you've made changes, hit the "Preview" button to see what you did. Remember to hit "Save changes" every so often, or your work will be lost!
Where should I start?
I found a mistake!
Awesome! Now you get to log in and fix it.
If you don't feel comfortable fixing it yourself for some reason, then you can edit the talk page, by clicking the confusingly-labeled 'Discussion' tab at the top left of the page, just to the right of the Free Geek Seattle logo. Tell about the problem and what you think should be done to fix it.
Mfoster upgraded the wiki to 1.22.7 see Special:Version
I installed the Widgets extension along with these two widgets:
Discovered the logo wasn't appearing. Found in the old folder and copied over like so...
mdf@dynamo:/var/www/servers/freegeekseattle.org/wiki$ rsync -av \ ../mediawiki-1.20.2/skins/common/images/customLogo.gif skins/common/images/
Just upgraded mediawiki from 1.20.2 -> 1.20.6
Here is the transcript for future upgrades. Literally takes just 1-2 minutes when it goes well.
394 cd /var/www/servers/freegeekseattle.org/ ... 402 tar xzvf /tmp/mediawiki-1.20.6.tar.gz 403 rm wiki 404 ln -s mediawiki-1.20.6 wiki 405 cd mediawiki-1.20.2/ 406 cp LocalSettings.php ../wiki/ 407 cp -a images ../wiki/ 408 cp -a extensions ../wiki/ 409 cd ../wiki ... 411 cd maintenance/ 412 php update.php